Sweet Italian Sausage Strata is a make ahead breakfast item with sausage, eggs, Italian bread and cheddar and parmesan cheese.
Here is another idea for Mother’s Day Brunch, Sweet Italian Sausage Strata. You can make it the day before, let it set over night and bake it the next morning. Serve this along side a fresh fruit salad, coffee and juice and brunch is complete!
The bread soaks up the egg mixture a lot better if the bread is day old. I used an Italian bread in this recipe, I love the amount of crust the bread offers. The parmesan cheese forms a crust on the top of the strata and comes out of the oven crispy, trust me, it’s very tasty. It’s important to grate fresh parmesan, it makes a difference in this recipe.
I prefer Sweet Italian Sausage in the strata, but feel free to use a spicy sausage, that would work well also.
Sweet Italian Sausage Strata
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1 loaf Italian Bread, cut into large chunks
- 3 green onions, diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 cup milk, I used skim
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan
- Cook the sausage in a skillet over medium high heat, breaking it up as it cooks. Cook for 5 minutes and add the sweet pepper and cook an additional 3 minutes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the bread, sausage mixture, green onions and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, half & half, milk, salt, pepper and basil. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread/sausage mixture. Stir to combine making sure the bread soaks up the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour or as long as overnight.
- . If you refrigerated overnight, remove from fridge and let come to room temperature for 1 hour before baking.
- To bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees and bake for 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Cook the sausage.
Add the sweet pepper
Cut the bread into large chunks.
Add the meat mixture, green onions and cheese to the bread.
Add the egg mixture to the bread mixture.
Layer the mixture in a greased pan.
Bake until golden brown.
Sweet Italian Sausage Strata
The strata is light & fluffy from the eggs.
Lots of sausage in this recipe. Yum.
This recipe was featured on:
Daily Dish Magazine
Tater Tots & Jello
Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons
The Mandatory Mooch
The Country Cook
Love Bakes Good Cakes
A Glimpse Inside
Artsy Fartsy Mama
What’s Cooking Love?
A Handful of Everything
Saving 4 Six
Simply Dream & Create
Will Cook for Smiles
Six Sisters Stuff
Superheroes & Teacups
Reasons to Skip the Housework
Sweet Bella Roos
The Newlywed Pilgrimage
Living Well Spending Less
Play Party Pin
A Conquered Mess
The Pin Junkie
Put A Bird On It