Baked Spaghetti takes a classic dish and turns it into a comforting casserole that is perfect for a weeknight meal, a pot luck or a family gathering.
This recipe reminds me of my Grandma Mary, my Mom’s mom. When I was a kid my grandma would celebrate Grandkid’s Day and we would go to her house and she would make food that the Grandkids loved. One of those recipe’s was Baked Spaghetti. In fact, this is one of the few recipe’s I remember her making besides desserts. My grandma was a huge lover of desserts. So, Grandma Mary, this recipe for Baked Spaghetti, is for you.
What I love most about this recipe is the fact it takes the ingredients of spaghetti and lasagna and combines them into one casserole. Baked Spaghetti starts with spaghetti noodles that are bathed in a mixture of butter, eggs and parmesan cheese and topped with a layer of ricotta cheese. Throw in a layer of beef & spaghetti sauce and you have the start of a tasty casserole. Finish it off with another layer of noodles, some more beef & spaghetti sauce and top if off with a bunch of fresh cheese. Bake it until golden brown and dig into this delicious dish.
- 1 lb. spaghetti noodles
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jar (32 oz.) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 container (15 oz.) ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions until al dente.
- In a large sauce pan, brown the ground chuck and onion over medium high heat until the meat is cooked through. Drain off the fat. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, salt, basil, oregano and brown sugar. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, butter and parmesan cheese. Once the noodles are cooked, drain and add the noodles to this mixture and stir to combine.
- Place half of noodles in bottom of baking dish. Spread the ricotta cheese on top of the noodles.
- Top that with half of the meat sauce. Place the remaining noodles on top.
- Top with remaining meat sauce.Top with the mozzarella and the cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is melted and golden brown. About 20 minutes
Adapted from Your Homebased Mom