I am a fan of bread pudding, both sweet and savory. I love to make a savory bread pudding in place of a vegetable side. This recipe for Arugula, Bacon & Swiss Bread Pudding uses arugula as the vegetable in the bread pudding but you could also use spinach or swiss chard in its place.
The eggs in the dish makes the bread puff up and become very moist. The bacon and swiss cheese gives this dish the salty & savory portion of this recipe.
Arugula, Bacon & Swiss Bread Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 large eggs
- 6 bacon slices
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 7 ounces baby arugula or baby spinach (6 1/2 cups)
- 6 cups cubed (1-inch) country-style bread (1 pound)
- 5 1/2 ounces swiss cheese, coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle. Butter a 2-qt shallow baking dish.
- Whisk together milk, cream, eggs, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp. Transfer with tongs to paper
- towels to drain, then coarsely crumble.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet. Increase heat to medium-high and cook shallot and garlic, stirring
- constantly, until golden, about 1 minute. Gradually add arugula and cook, stirring, until it wilts
- Stir arugula mixture, bacon, bread, and cheese into custard. Transfer to baking dish and cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes,
- then remove foil and bake until golden in spots, about 10 minutes more.
Adapted from Epicurious
Comments are loved and appreciated