Pomegranate Orange Muffins are little morsels packed full of fruity flavor, the seeds pop in your mouth when you bit into the muffin. The orange juice, orange zest and powdered sugar compliment the pomegranate well. You will find it hard to eat just one of these.
This is a healthy muffin using applesauce in the recipe in place of oil or butter. Trust me, you won’t miss the oil or the butter and since they are a healthy version you can eat two 🙂
These are not only good for breakfast, but for lunch or an afternoon snack. Definitely a kid pleaser.
If you need instructions on how to clean a pomegranate, check out this video; Hot to clean a pomegranate
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup apple/orange juice
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup applesauce (or typically, butter)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pomegranate (seeds only)
- 1-2 tablespoons orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin pans.
- In a small bowl soak oats in orange juice and water for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugars. Beat in eggs and oat mixture.
- In a separate bowl, blend flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and nutmeg. Stir into batter. Stir in pomegranate seeds and orange zest. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans, filling almost to the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until golden brown, about 20 minutes. 1 muffin has 140 calories and 3g fat.
Adapted from Pinch of Yum