Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce is a sweet topping with a hint of cinnamon. Serve it on Berry Blue Cake for a festive look on the 4th of July.
Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce starts by boiling rhubarb, water, sugar and lemon zest on the stove until the rhubarb is soft. Then add in the fresh strawberries, lemon juice, cinnamon and some food coloring (to get a bright red color) and the sauce is ready to eat!
Serve this wonderful sauce on cake (see below for my easy Berry Blue Cake), ice cream, pancakes or biscuits.
Going with my theme of red, white and blue this week in honor of the 4th of July I made a quick Berry Blue Cake. It is a box cake mix with jello added in to give the blue color. Kids and adults will both love this dessert.
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped into small pieces
- ¾ cup water
- 1/3 to ½ cup sugar
- Grated peel of 1 small lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups fresh strawberries, cut into small pieces
- Juice of ½ the lemon
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- In a small saucepan, add the rhubarb, water, sugar, lemon peel and salt; stir to combine. Over medium high heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered for 10-12 minutes, until the rhubarb is soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the strawberries, lemon juice, and cinnamon, stir to combine. Add the food coloring, if you wish, stir to combine.
- Serve over cake or ice cream.
For the Berry Blue Cake Ingredients: 1 box white cake mix, plus the ingredients indicated on the box 1 small box Berry Blue Jello Mix
Make cake according to package directions. Pour half of the batter into your cake pan. Add the dry jello mix to the other half of the batter and mix to combine. Pour the blue batter in the cake pan. Bake according to package direcitons.