Stuffed Peppers are a classic recipe that starts with a filling of beef, rice and tomatoes that’s packed into a sweet bell pepper and baked until sweet, tender and flavorful.
Sweet Bell Peppers were on special at the grocery store so I thought it would be the perfect time to make and share my recipe for Stuffed Peppers. My recipe is a classic recipe, nothing fancy, just basic ingredients that are baked to become something very delicious.
Stuffed Peppers start with browning an onion and ground chuck with salt and pepper. Then you add in some tomato products; diced tomatoes and tomato paste, along with oregano and tarragon and cooked rice. This is slow cooked on the stove top for a bit, so the flavors can marry and become one.
One step that I have added to my recipe is to cook the bell peppers in the microwave before stuffing them. I like my bell pepper to have some structure to it when it comes out of the oven. I don’t want it to soften too much that it doesn’t hold its shape. By starting the process in the microwave I don’t need to cook them as long in the oven.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. tarragon
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 4 large sweet bell peppers or 6 medium sweet bell peppers
- Garnish with: Cheddar Cheese, Green Onions, Sour Cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large sauce pan over medium high heat add the olive oil and onion, sauté for 3-5 minutes, until translucent. Pour the onions in a dish and set aside.
- Add the ground chuck to the sauce pan and break apart the meat with a spoon. Add the salt and pepper and continue to cook until the meat is no longer pink in the middle, approx. 8 minutes.
- Add the onions back into the pan and add the tomatoes, paste, oregano, tarragon and cooked rice. Stir to combine, reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is cooking, cut the tops off of the pepper and remove the seeds and membranes. Place the peppers in a glass dish with the cut side up. Microwave the peppers on high for 3 minutes.
- Fill each pepper to the top with the meat mixture and place back in the glass dish. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
- To serve, cut the pepper in half and top with cheese, green onions and sour cream if desired.
You could easily substitute ground turkey for the ground chuck.
Comments are loved and appreciated
Shamene Medeiros says
yum! pinned and will be making soon!! thanks!
Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again next week!
Cindy @ Hun... What's for Dinner? says
Thanks so much for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday. These stuffed peppers look wonderful!
Laura@Baking In Pyjamas says
They look great. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great weekend!!
Cindy Howell says
Wow, these look delicious! My sister-in-law loves sweet peppers. I will be sure to share this with her. 🙂
Thank you so much for sharing at this week’s Super Saturday Afternoon Tea!!!
[…] Stuffed Peppers […]