Along with the cauliflower, this recipe for Cauliflower Cheese soup also features carrots and celery that add a nice element and the chicken broth makes the soup taste like you were cooking it all day long.
The cheese in this recipe for Cauliflower Cheese Soup puts the finishing touch on this delicious recipe. The soup would be fine without the cheese, but I think the cheese takes this soup over the top.
This is a perfect week night meal, it comes together quickly. Serve this along side some crusty french bread for dipping. It’s perfect as a left over for lunch the next day!
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 medium carrot, sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups milk, I used skim
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded plus more for garnish
- In a large pot add the cauliflower, carrots, celery and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce and cook for approx. 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and whisk for 2 minutes. Add in the salt and pepper. Whisk in the milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese. Add this to the vegetable mixture, stir to combine and serve in bowls. Add more cheese as a garnish if you like.
You can substitute mild or medium cheddar cheese for the sharp.