Tacoritos are a combination of a taco, burrito and an enchilada and will easily become a family favorite recipe.
To continue with my week of recipes to make for Cinco de Mayo on May 5th I decided to feature my recipe for Tacoritos. This delicious Tex Mex recipe starts with a homemade enchilada sauce that uses chili powder and gives this dish a bit of a smoky flavor. The meat mixture is a combination of beef, beans and taco seasoning (here is my homemade recipe for taco seasoning).
To assemble these, you place some of the sauce on a flour tortilla, add some beef mixture, raw onions and cheese. Once all of the Tacoritos are assembled you pour sauce over the top and add some more cheese to take this recipe over the top because more cheese always takes a recipe over the top 🙂
The original recipe for Tacoritos calls for a combination of beef and sausage, you may use this combination if you like, either way they will be delicious.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 ½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 ½ lbs. ground chuck
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 10 flour tortillas, warmed
- 2-3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the flour and bring to a boil; let boil for a couple of minutes. Whisk in the chili powder and garlic salt. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground chuck until meat is no longer pink. Drain the excess fat from the pan. Stir in the refried beans and heat through.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread a 1/3 cup of the sauce in the baking dish.
- Spread 1 tablespoon sauce over each tortilla; place about a ¼ cup meat mixture towards the end of the tortilla. Top each with some onion and shredded cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in prepared dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream, grape tomatoes and green onions if desired.
You may use a combination of beef and sausage in this recipe.
This recipe is featured on: