I always say if you are going to dirty up your kitchen for one meal, why not dirty it up for two! So, today I am featuring my One Pot Pasta Dish recipe and I will also be making enough ground chuck for my Tamale Pie recipe which I will feature on Wednesday. It can be tough trying to plan meals every week and at times even tougher to find time to make a decent meal every night. Both of these recipes come together rather quickly and are packed full of flavor.
The One Pot Pasta Dish is delish! I am a huge pasta lover and I always say that if I had to choose one nationality of food to live on it would be Italian because of pasta, I LOVE IT……LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! I try and eat pasta in moderation and over the last few years they have come out with healthier pasta, so I don’t feel so bad making pasta dishes and serving it to my family.
I started out frying up 2 pounds of ground chuck. And here is a secret for cutting back on the fat in your ground chuck, when you are done frying the meat, pour the meat on a plate with a stack of paper towels on it. The paper towel will soak up the excess fat from the ground chuck. Set aside half of the ground chuck for the Tamale Pie.
Next add the olive oil to the same pan you used for the ground chuck over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 7-8 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add the meat, tomato products, water and seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the temperature to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add in the pasta and simmer for another 20 minutes or until pasta is tender. I used Orecchiette pasta, but you can use the pasta shape of your choice.
The end result is so heart warming, a true comfort food.
Add some parmesan cheese to the top if you wish.
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash of pepper
- 1 (7-ounce) package pasta, uncooked
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the ground chuck in a large pot, stirring it and breaking down the meat into crumbles. Drain the meat on a plate covered with paper towel. In the same pot add the olive oil and add the onion and pepper. Saute until translucent, approx. 7-8 minutes.
- Add in the ground chuck and the next 10 ingredients and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta; cover and simmer, stirring often, 20 minutes or until pasta is tender. Serve with cheese, if desired.
*If you are going to make this recipe along with the Tamale Casserole, you will need to brown 2 lbs. of ground chuck and save half for the Tamale Pie.
Recipe adapted from My Recipes
Comments are loved and appreciated
Nibbles By Nic says
Thanks so much for stopping by MUNCHING MONDAYS with your fantastic pasta dish!!!! YUMMY! Hope to see you next week 🙂 Warmest, mic
Thanks for hosting the Link Party! Kay
Joanne T Ferguson (@mickeydownunder) says
G’day! Love one pot dishes!
Thanks for sharing at the Foodie Friends Friday Nothing but Noodles Pasta party!
This sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!