Lettuce Wraps are filled with ground turkey and doused in an Asian inspired sauce and tossed with water chestnuts, sweet pepper and green onions.
This recipe was inspired by my nephew Jacob. He made a similar Lettuce Wrap when we were on vacation in the Outer Banks. They were so delicious I vowed to recreate the recipe. Jacob used a bottle sauce but I decided to come up with my own sauce and I think I replicated his sauce to the tee.
Jacob used ground chicken in his version and I wanted to do the same, but the grocery store had something else in mind when I went grocery shopping, they were out of ground chicken so I opted for ground turkey. Either one will work fine in this recipe for Lettuce Wraps.
I used Butterhead lettuce for the Lettuce Wraps and topped them with green onions and cashews. I also made a Soy Ginger Sauce for dipping and recommend Sriracha for those of you who like things a bit spicy!
- 1 lb. ground turkey or ground chicken
- 6 green onions, chopped (plus more for serving)
- 1 small can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic scapes, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 head of butterhead lettuce
- Salted cashews
- Dipping Sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- In a large saucepan, over medium high heat brown the turkey until cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Add in the green onions, water chestnuts, pepper and garlic scapes. Reduce the heat to medium and let cook while you mix the sauce.
- In a bowl, whisk together the hoisin, soy sauce, oil, ginger and water. Pour over the meat mixture and stir to combine. Continue to cook until the mixture comes to a boil, then remove from the heat.
- While the meat mixture is coming to a boil, whisk together the ingredients for the dipping sauce: soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, ginger and oil.
- Rinse the lettuce leaves with water, pat dry with paper towel.
- To serve; spoon some of the meat mixture onto a lettuce leave and “wrap” it together. Serve with green onions, cashews and the dipping sauce.
Sauce was adapted from Skinny Taste.