Broccoli, carrots, chicken broth, half & half and lots of cheddar cheese come together to make this delicious soup.
This recipe starts with a classic roux, a mix of butter and flour, that is used to thicken the soup. The half & half and chicken stock help to make the soup creamy. Broccoli and carrots add a good portion of vegetables while the cheddar cheese gives this soup the added amount of zing to make this soup sing.
Serve it up with a piece of crusty bread and call it a meal.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups carrots, sliced thin
- 6 cup broccoli, chopped, use the florets and stalks sliced thin
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the onions, cook for 10 minutes. Add the flour and stir to combine, cook for an additional 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, making sure the onion roux is mixed in. Add in the half and half and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and add in the carrots and broccoli. Bring mixture back to a boil and reduce to low and cook for 20 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Take the pan off the heat and put ¼ of the mixture into a blender or food processor, pulse until smooth. Continue processing the rest of the batches and return the soup to the stove. On medium heat, bring the soup back up to a warm temperature (almost to a boil) and stir in the shredded cheese, stir to combine. When the soup is heated through and the cheese is melted, it is ready to serve. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Comments are loved and appreciated
Cindy Howell says
I love broccoli cheese soup and this looks yummy and easy. Thank you for sharing at this week’s Super Saturday Afternoon Tea!!!
Cindy from Superheroes and Teacups