Have you tried fennel before? If not, this is a great way to introduce the vegetable into a meal. Look below to see what fennel looks like. It has a licorice smell to it, but don’t let that stop you from trying it. When you roast the fennel it takes on an all new taste, sweet with a taste of onion. This tasty, low fat spread uses caramelized fennel, onions and garlic. You can serve this on fresh bread, like Ciabatta (that works great toasted) or crackers. If you are looking to impress someone with a fancy appetizer, this is it!
- 3 Medium Sized Fennel Bulbs, Trimmed & Cut Into 1 Inch Wedges
- 1 Small, Sweet Onion, Peeled & Cut Into 1 Inch Wedges
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Peeled
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Cracked Black Pepper
- To Serve: Multigrain Baguette, Sliced & Grilled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the fennel, onion and garlic with the olive oil and place in an oven-proof roasting dish. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are fork tender and lightly browned.
- Place the vegetables into a food processor along with the grated cheese and pulse until fairly smooth. Season with salt and pepper and place in a small oven-proof baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the additional 2 tablespoons of grated cheese and cracked pepper and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, first preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and then bake until hot and bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm along with slices of grilled bread.
This recipe was adapted from Italian Food Forever.
Comments are loved and appreciated