Italian Sugar Cookies are tender morsels of delicious sugar cookies with a light glaze and pretty sprinkles added to the top.
These cookies pretty much melt in your mouth, they are so soft and sweet. Trust me when I say you won’t be able to eat just one.
I usually make these Italian Sugar Cookies Christmas but I thought this would be a nice Easter treat as well. Adding the bright colored sprinkles reminds me of spring colors. These would be great to bake with kids or grand kids, they can help decorate the cookies with their favorite sprinkles.
I used a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop to form the cookies and I baked them for 8 and a half minutes in my oven. They had just started to turn golden on the bottom of the cookie. You might notice some slight cracking on the top of the cookie, this is normal.
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Colored sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In your mixer cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Turn your mixer on low and add the flour mixture 1 cup at a time, turn the mixer up one speed and mix for a minute or two until well combined.
- Using a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop form the cookies and place on the baking sheets or you can form the cookies by hand. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine milk, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth. Dip the top of the cookie in the icing and sprinkle with colored sprinkles.
Adapted from Taste of Home