I am going to give you a reason to go out and buy Peeps and that reason is my recipe for Peeps S’Mores Bars.
These bars have an oatmeal & graham cracker crust, a layer of chocolate/butterscotch chips, Peeps marshmallows and some more oatmeal & graham cracker mixture tossed on top.
Peeps S’Mores Bars start with a mixture of butter, brown sugar and karo syrup (yum) and then you add in oatmeal, flour and graham cracker crumbs. Press this into a baking dish and cover it with chocolate and butterscotch chips.
Now it gets fun, you line up the Peeps in rows, they look like they are standing at attention. Add the last of the oatmeal mixture to the top of the Peeps and bake. You kind of feel bad putting the Peeps in the oven knowing they won’t be coming out the same as when they went in…poor Peeps.
- 6 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 2 & 1/4 cups rolled oats (not instant, not steel cut)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 & 1/4 cup chips, I used semi-chocolate and butterscotch chips
- 15 Peeps
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 pan. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup over medium heat, until the butter is melted and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the oats, flour, salt and graham cracker crumbs.
- Press a little more than half of this mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Place on a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the cooled crust. Top with the Peeps, making 3 rows of 5 Peeps. Cover with the remaining topping/crust mixture. Bake for 20 minutes; the Peeps will look slightly misshapen under the topping.
- Place on a wire cooling rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Adapted from Bake at 350.