I made this recipe for Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup for a Lunch & Learn at work. Within a half hour the soup had vanished and I even doubled the recipe. I got rave reviews on the recipe. I promise it’s good, you should plan on making it soon!
You start this Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup with ground chuck and bacon (nothing is bad if it has bacon in it) and you add in a ton of vegetables along with cheddar cheese soup, beer and beef broth. The beer really adds a depth of flavor but if you prefer not to use beer you can add in an extra cup of beef broth.
Adding the milk in the end makes the soup creamy and mellows out the tomatoes in the soup. Add cheddar cheese when you serve up this hearty soup. Enjoy!
- 1 pound ground chuck
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup (I used heart healthy)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1-12 ounce bottle beer, dark brown ale
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded (optional)
- Cook the ground beef in a large sauce over medium high heat. Add salt & pepper and cook for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Drain the grease off the meat and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in the pan until crispy, about 7 minutes, set aside on a plate with paper towel on it
- Add 1 tbsp. olive oil to the pan and add the onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in the soup, broth, beer, bacon, beef, potato, mustard, worcestershire sauce and tomatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add in the milk and stir to combine. Taste the soup and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the soup and top with cheddar cheese if desired.
You can substitute beef broth for the beer.