Hearty Vegetable Pasta Sauce is packed full of fresh vegetables and is cooked low and slow to become a very delicious sauce to use in all of your favorite pasta dishes.
This recipe for Hearty Vegetable Pasta Sauce makes a large batch but it can easily be frozen for later use. I always like to have this on hand in the freezer so on those nights or weekends when I have run out of time to make dinner I pull out this sauce and make a quick pasta dish.
This recipe is also a good way to get extra vegetables into a kid’s diet. You will find tomatoes, onions, celery, peppers and carrots in this sauce. I add wine and chicken bouillon to make it taste like it cooked all day long, it has a real deep flavor full of deep herb flavor. You will love it!
Use this in your favorite pasta dish, lasagna, spaghetti & meatballs, chicken & parmesan…..the list could go on forever.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 medium sweet peppers, chopped (any color)
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 - 12 cups ripe tomatoes, diced (I remove the seeds from mine)
- 2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup red wine, I used Chianti
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsp. ground fennel (optional)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 chicken bouillon cube
- Water, optional
- Chop all the vegetables into small pieces.
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil. Add the onions, peppers, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes. Cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add the oregano, wine, tomato paste, parsley, basil, ground fennel, salt, pepper, brown sugar and bouillon cubes.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally so the sauce doesn't stick to the bottom. If the sauce is to thick you can add water to the sauce. It will depend on how ripe your tomatoes are if you need to add some water.