Along with the cauliflower, this recipe for Cauliflower Cheese soup also features carrots and celery that add a nice element and the chicken broth makes the soup taste like you were cooking it all day long.
The cheese in this recipe for Cauliflower Cheese Soup puts the finishing touch on this delicious recipe. The soup would be fine without the cheese, but I think the cheese takes this soup over the top.
This is a perfect week night meal, it comes together quickly. Serve this along side some crusty french bread for dipping. It’s perfect as a left over for lunch the next day!
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 medium carrot, sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups milk, I used skim
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded plus more for garnish
- In a large pot add the cauliflower, carrots, celery and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce and cook for approx. 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and whisk for 2 minutes. Add in the salt and pepper. Whisk in the milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese. Add this to the vegetable mixture, stir to combine and serve in bowls. Add more cheese as a garnish if you like.
You can substitute mild or medium cheddar cheese for the sharp.
Comments are loved and appreciated
Gentle Joy says
This looks and sounds GREAT! Thank you for sharing this…..we love broccoli cheese soup, but have never tried cauliflower cheese. 🙂 Gentle Joy
Cindy @ Hun... What's for Dinner? says
This soup looks amazing! Cauliflower and cheese are always a hit in my books. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.
Yum! This looks so tasty!! Cauliflower soup has become a bit of a new favourite for me at home, cant wait for the weather to cool down so I can make some more soup 🙂
I stopped by from Share Your Stuff Tuesdays because I love cauliflower and I love cheese soup so I thought the idea of combining them was brilliant! This looks so yummy, I’m saving it to my yumprint.com soup cookbook for sure! Thanks so much for sharing! HUGS
Yum! I’m always looking for vegetarian recipes. (I’d probably substitute the chicken broth with veggie stock) Thanks for sharing!
You definitely can substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth!
This soup looks great! I love the combination of cheese and cauliflower! Checking this out from foodies and crafties soiree :-_
Looks so delicious & I have cauliflower in the house right now – yay!! I found you on the Serenity Saturday blog hop
Angie, Thanks for stopping by my blog!