Who doesn’t love a good, home made tomato soup? Then you throw in some sweet peppers and make some salty parmesan dumplings and you have an over the top tomato soup that will have you asking for seconds!
I came up with Chunky Tomato & Pepper Soup with Parmesan Dumplings for a Soup Contest at a local organic farm, Park Ridge Organics for their annual Harvest Fest. I am proud to announce that this recipe won for “People’s Choice”. It was a very exciting day and I was very proud to accept the award for People’s Choice and was so happy that the people in attendance thought so highly of my soup to vote for it.
Chunky Tomato & Pepper Soup with Parmesan Dumplings isn’t a typical tomato soup recipe, it is full of other vegetables and has chicken stocked added in for another depth of flavor. The parmesan dumplings are a creamy and salty little morsel of goodness in each spoonful.
- For the soup:
- 1 tsbp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 medium sweet peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 can – 28 ounces – diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- For the dumplings:
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plus 3 tbsp. flour (plus more for rolling the dough out)
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add the olive oil and butter. Saute the peppers and onions for 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir to combine and add in the basil, oregano and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer.
- While the soup is simmering, make the dumplings. In a bowl, mix together the ricotta and parmesan cheese and the egg. Whisk in the flour.
- On a flat surface covered with flour, roll out the dumpling dough until about ¼ inch thick. Cut the dumpling with a knife into ¼ inch squares.
- Turn the temperature of the soup up to medium, making sure the soup is up to a boil. Drop the dumplings in, one by one, and let them cook for 3-5 minutes, until cooked through. Serve and enjoy!