I am a huge fan of BBQ and this recipe for Slow Cooker BBQ Beef is one of my favorites.
First, this recipe is a slow cooker recipe and it makes the beef extremely tender. Second, there are two ingredients in this recipe that are not typical for BBQ and those ingredients are pickles and cocktail sauce and they add a unique flavor to the beef. Trust me, you will love it!
I eat the Slow Cooker BBQ Beef as is, but you can easily serve this dish as sandwiches or on top of mashed potatoes or polenta. You could also make a grilled cheese out of this or a quesadilla. The possibilities are endless.
- 2 large onions, cut into thick slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 – 5 lbs. beef chuck roast
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 ½ cups chopped dill pickles
- 1 – 12 ounce jar cocktail sauce
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp. pickle juice
- 1 cup thick BBQ Sauce
- Lay the onion slices in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Cut the chuck roast into 4 large pieces, cutting off some of the outer fat. Lay the meat on top of the onions in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cocktail sauce, ketchup and pickle juice. Pour evenly over the meat in the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for 5-6 hours on low at which time you should remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred the meat with two forks on a cutting board and let rest.
- Remove the onions and pickles from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Use a knife to chop the mixture into small pieces.
- Add the BBQ sauce to the slow cooker and mix thoroughly with the juice that’s already in the slow cooker. Add in the meat and onion/pickle mixture, stir to combine. Put the cover back on and cook for another 30-60 minutes, until heated through and then it’s ready to be served.