French Toast Muffins combine the ingredients of french toast stuffed into a muffin tin with streusel sprinkled on the top.
Once baked the french toast has a light & airy texture that reminds me of bread pudding. Serve these up with some warm maple syrup and it’s pure heaven.
This recipe is a perfect make ahead meal to have ready for kids and adults to grab on the way to school or work. It’s a nice change from a pop tart or a bowl of cereal for breakfast. These would also be a great addition to a brunch menu.
- 1 loaf French bread, cut or torn into 1/2 inch cubes (about 10 cups of bread)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the Cinnamon Streusel Topping:
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Butter and Maple Syrup, for serving, optional
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Add the bread cubes and gently stir to combine. Make sure all the bread pieces get coated with the egg mixture. Fill each muffin tin with the bread mixture making sure to press the bread down and get as much into each muffin tin.
- Cover the muffins with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. To make the cinnamon streusel, in a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Mix together with your hands, until you have a crumbly mixture. Remove the muffins from the refrigerator and sprinkle the muffins evenly with the streusel topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Let muffins cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and serve with butter and maple syrup, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod