Fiesta Fettuccine is vibrant with color from the peppers, corn and basil. Add to it some spices, pasta and cheese and you have a dish full of flavor.
I could eat pasta every day, really, I love it that much! I try to control the amount of pasta I eat, too many carbs to eat it every day. When I make a pasta dish I like to add in a fair amount of vegetables to off set the carbs. At least in my head I think I am eating healthier. 🙂
There are some wonderful spices in Fiesta Fettuccine, my favorites are paprika and cayenne pepper. These spices add some smokiness and heat to the dish. The cilantro and basil add a fresh element to the dish. Lastly, I added bacon and cheese to the recipe because everything tastes better with bacon and cheese. I’m right, aren’t I?
- 1 pound fettuccine pasta
- 3 cups corn, fresh or frozen off the cob
- 4 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 lime, juice of ½, ½ for garnish
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, more if you want it spicier
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 sweet pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- ½ onion, sliced
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp. parsley or cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped or julienned
- 6 sliced bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the corn to a microwave safe dish and heat for 2 minutes, set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, juice of a ½ a lime, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, pepper and salt. Take ½ of the mixture and mix it in with the corn. Put the other half in a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the pepper and onion. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Stir in the milk and heavy cream. Cook for 5 minutes stirring often, until the mixture starts to thicken. Stir in the cup of pasta water.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the parmesan and cheddar cheeses. Stir to combine, return the pan to the heat. Add in the pasta, corn, parsley or cilantro, basil and bacon. Stir to combine.
- Plate the pasta, garnish with queso fresco, a slice of lime and basil.