A real Wisconsin favorite….sausage & beer. Peppers are sautéed, sausages are braised and beer is added in to slow cook and give this dish a unique flavor that is out of this world good! This is a quick fix meal, perfect for a week night.
Pan fry the sausages (use your favorite kind) and set aside. Along with the peppers you add onion and seasoned diced tomatoes before adding in a dark beer. Add the sausages back in and let simmer. The sauce will reduce and the flavors will intensify.
You could easily stuff the sausage and peppers into a hoagie and make it a sandwich.
- 3 tbsp. vegetable or olive oil, divided
- 4 Italian Sausages
- 4 small or 1 large sweet pepper, sliced
- 2 small or 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 can (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with basil/oregano
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) bottle beer, I use Creamy Dark
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat 2 tbsp. of the oil in a pan over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add the sausage, cook on each side for 3 minutes, you want them to be browned on both sides. Take the sausages and place on a plate and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil in the pan, add the pepper and onions. Saute for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, beer and paste to the pan and stir to combine. Stir in the garlic powder and Cajun seasoning. Add the sausages back into the pan and cover. Turn the heat down to medium low and cook for 20 minutes. Taste and salt & pepper if needed.